Julie hits Amsterdam

I am heading to Amsterdam! Begining mid-April I will be working and living in the Netherlands. With the rest of Europe so close I am sure exciting adventures await. Advisory Notice - some material posted to this blog may not be suitable for childern.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Feeling right at home

I’m celebrating my one week anniversary here in Amsterdam and it feels like I have been here for much longer than that – don’t worry – not in a bad way! I’m settled into my fabulous apartment which sits on one of the most beautiful canals of Amsterdam. I have yet to learn how to pronounce the name and when asked where I live I reply one of two ways: 1. it is the canal that begins with a “K” or 2. pull out my blackberry (I finally caved!) and point to the note that contains my address. Literally 2 doors down is my neighborhood pub whose bartender I have already befriended. Other than the little step that is in front of my door, which has already caused not one but two causalities – my ankle is still swollen from the first – the apartment is great.

I have learned a new way to become aware of my surroundings – look right, look left, and look down – proceed. I call this method Avoid and Protect… by looking right and left you avoid getting hit by a bicycle and by looking down you protect yourself from stepping in dog poop. I’ve come close to getting run over by a cyclist – not a pretty sight! You also have to use A&P when exiting a car; before you open the car door always look right and left.

I learned from the people at work that the place to shop is the PCH, so on Saturday that’s where I started my day. After a few wrong turns (I’m sure this will change but right now all the canals look the same!) I found myself in familiar territory… Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Chanel – the gang was all there. As I strolled from shop to shop I was lost in my own little world when suddenly I was jolted back to the present when I found myself starring at a shop called “Donaldson”! On the street of motherships I literally found my own! Curiosity at a high I walked in the shop to see what it was all about. Seeing my name everywhere from shirts to bags to hangers was really bazaar. This must be what Paris and Nikki feel like when they pull up to a Hilton hotel.

After I finished my trip through stores I still can’t afford – even being on this side of the ocean the stuff is expensive! I spent the rest of the day perusing the flower market and walking around the city. You can get 5 bunches of fresh flowers for only $8 – best deal in town!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home